The Recording Academy announced the nominees for the 2020 Grammy Awards today (Wednesday), and country music fans will find a mix of contemporary and classic stars among the candidates, as well as a surprise or two.
Apparently Tyler Childers‘s fanbase includes several industry tastemakers as the indie artist with Americana leanings finds himself in the Best Country Solo Performance category among more expected nominees Ashley McBryde, Willie Nelson, Blake Shelton and Tanya Tucker.
The Best Country Duo/Group Performance category has a bit of a plot twist with collaborations also landing in this field, so Brooks and Dunn‘s duet with Luke Combs, “Brand New Man,” and Maren Morris‘s work with Brand Carlile on “Common” go up against tradition duos and groups Brothers Osborne, Dan and Shay and Little Big Town.
Though the Best Country Song award goes to the songwriters, it is noteworthy that all of the performing artists for the songs did also happen to be writers on their nominated work.
Thomas Rhett may have been surprised that his Center Point Road album was nominated for Best Country Album, but it’s unlikely that anyone else is. Eric Church is also receiving his just reward in that category as well as in Best Country Song. And the ladies dominate the Best Country Album category with Reba McEntire, Pistol Annies and Tanya all taking a slot among the nominees.
If you’re keeping tally, Ashley McBryde, Tanya Tucker, Dan and Shay and Eric Church each received a pair of nominations while the rest are singular nominees.
Best Country Song (songwriters award)
- Tanya Tucker (Brandi Carlile) – “Bring My Flowers Now”
- Ashley McBryde – “Girl Going Nowhere”
- Miranda Lambert – “It’ll Come Out in the Wash”
- Eric Church – “Some of It”
- Dan and Shay – “Speechless”
Best Country Album
- Desperate Man – Eric Church
- Stronger Than The Truth – Reba McEntire
- Interstate Gospel – Pistol Annies
- Center Point Road – Thomas Rhett
- While I’m Livin’ – Tanya Tucker
Best Country Solo Performance
- “All Your’n” – Tyler Childers
- “Girl Goin’ Nowhere” – Ashley McBryde
- “Ride Me Back Home” – Willie Nelson
- “God’s Country” – Blake Shelton
- “Bring My Flowers Now” – Tanya Tucker
Best Country Duo/Group Performance:
- “Brand New Man” – Brooks & Dunn with Luke Combs
- “I Don’t Remember Me (Before You)” – Brothers Osborne
- “Speechless” – Dan & Shay
- “The Daughters” – Little Big Town
- “Common” – Maren Morris ft. Brandi Carlile